EtBr and "clean" DNA

J. Santangelo jsantang at rpms.ac.uk
Mon Jun 12 07:25:49 EST 1995

Dear netters,

I have often wondered if the presence of Ethidium Bromide in CsCl
gradients is one of the reasons why people tend to obtain very clean
plasmid preps from this method.  Could it be that when EtBr intercolates
in the DNA, it aids in the removal of any tightly bound protein
molecules?  Does anyone know of a method for obtaining "clean" DNA that
is based on this phenomenon?  The reason I'm asking is that I need to
cleanup linear DNA fragments and I am looking for alternatives to
repetative phenol extractions.  Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Joe