Being immortalized ?

P. Friedl di58 at pop.th-darmstadt.de
Mon Jun 12 03:59:50 EST 1995

In article <3r9tge$8hi at rc1.vub.ac.be>, wmoens at ben.vub.ac.be (Moens William) says:

>Hello Netters,
>
>Primary cultures of mammalian cells usually die after a certain number of passag
>es in vitro. In rodent primaries, some cells may survive to the crisis and behav
>e as "immortal". This extremely rarely happens with human primaries.
>Therefore "immortalisation" vectors are used to get immortalisation of human
>primary cultures.
>In fact I have difficulties to catch exactly on which physiological/molecular fa
>cts one can declare a successful "immortalisation" of such cultures.
>Are they mutants of apoptosis, then which are the criteria to check?
>Are they surviving cells with or without normal cell cycling rates?
>From the litterature I've read there seems to be as much meanings of "immortalis
>ation" as they are labs and scientific background of the authors.
>
>Could we have a debate about that?
>
>William
>
>W. Moens
>Institute of Hygiene & Epidemiology
>Brussels Belgium
>wmoens at ben.vub.ac.be

Hello,
"immortal" means the potential of indefinite cell divisions. Of course this
can't be proven. It is commonly accepted that a cell line is immortal if
it could be passaged for more than 150 cumulative population doublings with
reproducible generation times and final cell densities in confluent
monolayers.
Bye
P.F.