Best centrifuge tubes for use with Qiagen 500?

Dave Bates dobates at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jun 14 18:39:11 EST 1995

What are people's opinions on the best tubes to precipitate the plasmid
DNA after elution from a Qiagen tip 500.  I've been using Nalgene Oak
Ridge tubes, both the Polycarbonate ones (which split on me too often
for comfort - another two went today and that makes five out of the 10
pack in the last 4 months), and the polypropylene ones in which you can
hardly see the pellet. I don't like using these large tubes as you end
up with a small, hard to see pellet in the bottom of a large volume
container. Does the isopropanol stage really need to be spun at 15,000g
to get a good pellet or can I spin it at a lower speed and use
something like a Falcon 50ml tube at 9000g? Can you just add 35mls 100%
Ethanol and get a nicer pellet, or is there not enough salt there?

What is everyone's favourite.

A very pissed off Dave

-
Dave Bates PhD                                     Tel: 916 752-7081
Postdoctoral Researcher                            Fax: 916 758-2554
Dept of Human Physiology                         email:
dobates at ucdavis.edu
University of California at Davis                drink: anything
Davis, California 95616, USA            No I don't have a sense of
humour
                                                now buy me a beer