Dealing w/ Unclonable sequences

gubbinse at randd.pprd.abbott.com gubbinse at randd.pprd.abbott.com
Wed Jun 14 12:05:47 EST 1995

In article <3rkevl$bu7 at netnews.upenn.edu>, demuth at biochem.dental.upenn.edu

--

I think your best strategy is to interrupt the gene.  Try cutting the fragment
with another or additional enzymes, or random cleavage with DNAse, or

If you wish to express the protein (in E. coli) you can subsequently use PCR
to separate the coding region from the endogenous promoter and use a tightly
regulated promoter to control expression.

Another strategy, as was used to clone a toxic gene from B. amyloliquifaciens
(Gene 53: pp.11-19, 1987) was to first introduce a transposon into the gene in
the original bacteria, then clone the inactivated gene by the transposon marker.

The other approach I have seen was when a group wanted to construct a
mammalian expression vector (I think the gene was Renin) but the construct was
toxic due to some read-through expression in E. coli.  They put a
transcriptional terminator into a unique site within the gene, which
interrupted it and prevented expression in E. coli.  Once they had the
construct, they cut the terminator out with the same enzyme, removed the small
terminator fragment (by gel filtration?) and re-circularized the plasmid under
dilute conditions (which is very efficient).  They were then able to transfect
it into mammalian cells.  Something on this order might work for you,
depending on what you want to do of course.

Good luck with your cloning.

Any opinions are my own, and do not reflect opinions or positions of Abbott.
Dr. Earl J. Gubbins     Abbott Laboratories  Earl.J.Gubbins at Abbott.com