Positive selection vectors

Duncan Clark Duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 14 10:30:57 EST 1995

In article: <3rmn87$9n at hippo.shef.ac.uk>  M.C.Behrendt at shef.ac.uk (M.C.Behrendt) writes:

> Are there any really good foolproof positive selection vectors about,
> the only good one I've discovered so far is pKSS which codes for a
> phenylalanyl-tRNA synthetase alpha subunit with relaxed substrate
> specificity.

Have a look at Gene Vol 148 pp71-74 (1994). A system based on the same
selection is available from Invitrogen as I think pZero. The Gene paper
describes pUC18 and pUC19 derivatives with lacZalpha/ccdB fusions. ccdB is
lethal in a wild type gyrA+ E.coli. Cloning into the normal pUC polylinker
interrupts the ccdB gene so positive selection. The vectors are pKIL18 and
pKIL19 and the gyrA462 host for producing plasmid is B216. Try emailing the
corresponding author Dr. P. Bernard on pbernard at dbm.ulb.ac.be.

Duncan