how does formamide work in hybridisation???

Thu Jun 15 10:03:15 EST 1995

Bernhard Schu asks:

> Who knows how formamid works during the denaturation of DNA double strands and
RNA structures?
IS there a rest of formamid binding to the single strands or the RNA structure?
And how do you get rid of this stuff?

I'm not totally sure of the physical chemistry, but I think that (unlike
formaldehyde) formamide should be thought of as changing the properties
of the solvant rather than specifically binding to the DNA.  It does
not make stable adducts to the DNA. You get rid of it when you remove
your hybrids from the solvent.

Hope this helps.
Steve Hardies, Assoc. Prof. of Biochem., Univ. of Texas HSC at San Antonio