Quantitative PCR (qPCR) and "tripple bands"

Warren Gallin gal-1 at bones
Thu Jun 15 09:11:55 EST 1995

Yeah, we had it happen once, doing PCR on activins.  The problem appears
to arise when synthesis doesn't go completely to the end of every strand
in one round.  Then in the next round, the incomplete strands will act as
a primer.  Becasue there are two closely related but non-identical
templates, some of this partially elongated pseudo primer will anneal to
the inappropriate template, finish elongating, and thus yield a chimeric
molecule that can then be amplified.  It happened rarely enough that it
wasn't a problem for our purposes, but we did all our subsequent work
with cloned and sequenced PCR products.

Regards,

Warren Gallin