non-EMS mutagenesis

Rafael Maldonado rafael at
Thu Jun 15 19:26:29 EST 1995

On 15 Jun 1995, Garth I. Patterson wrote:

> I am interested in performing a mutagenesis with something that will give a
> different spectrum of changes from EMS, which gives primarily G-C to A-T
> transitions, at least in C. elegans (my favorite beast).  I want single
> base pair changes, rather than deletions or frame shifts.  As usual, I
> will post a
> summary of comments/suggestions.
> Garth Patterson

Most of the mutangens give GC to AT transitions, but the base analog
2-aminopurine should give GC to AT and AT to GC as well.

Benzo[a]pyrene diolepoxide is a very dangerous one and difficult to
obtain, but can make GC to TA transversions. 4-nitro-quinoline-1-oxide
mainly gives GC to AT, but some GC to TA too.

Those mutations are in E. coli, I don't know how they will work in your

I hope this helps.

Rafael Maldonado                             |  "y es que...
room 6160 Eccles Institute of Human Genetics |   habemos gente pa to'"
Department of Human Genetics		     |
University of Utah			     |
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112. USA.	     |     Joselito "El Gallo"
Rafael at                 |
Rafael at	             |
Tel: 801-581-4429			     |
Fax: 801-585-3910			     |