Problem with phenol

Rafael Maldonado rafael at corona.med.utah.edu
Fri Jun 16 13:48:33 EST 1995

On Fri, 16 Jun 1995, Ramachandran wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there anyone who can tell me about the kind of phenol that should be
> used for isolating genomic DNA from mouse tails. Is there some kind of
> time tested special method to buffer the phenol?
>
> And I have been trying to bring down the pH of phenol (to be used in DNA
> isolation) with several washes of 0.1 M Tris-Cl, without any success. I
> have done almost 7 washes with 0.1 M Tris-Cl. I am following the
> protocol given in the Maniatis Lab mannual. If someone can suggest a
> solution it will be great!

Ramachandran:

If you read the maniatis protocol, it says you should wash the phenol
with 1 M Tris-HCl first. Try several (say, 3) with 1 M and other 3 washes
with 0.1 M. The pH must be OK then (between 7 and 8).

	Rafa

Rafael Maldonado                             |  "y es que...
room 6160 Eccles Institute of Human Genetics |   habemos gente pa to'"
Department of Human Genetics		     |
University of Utah			     |
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112. USA.	     |     Joselito "El Gallo"
Rafael at genetics.med.utah.edu                 |
Rafael at corona.med.utah.edu	             |
Tel: 801-581-4429			     |
Fax: 801-585-3910			     |