ethidium staining of RNA gels

Mike Anson Mike-Anson at NIH.GOV
Sat Jun 17 12:48:46 EST 1995

In article <kgweinst-1206951357230001 at 192.207.234.67>, kgweinst at tigr.org says...

>We have had several discussions in our laboratory about the transfer of
>RNA (for Northerns) from gels stained with ethidium bromide. Although
>several of the lab books (e.g. Maniatis/Sambrook) recommend against it, no

<SNIP>

>RNA from agarose gels. Is there another stain which would allow staining
>of the RNA with no effect on transfer.
>
>Thanks, Keith
>
>Keith G. Weinstock
>The Institute for Genomic Research
>kgweinst at tigr.org

Is it essential to stain *in* the gel? Maniatis/Sambrook also gives a method for staining the membrane *after*
transfer, with methylene blue. The stained membrane can be photographed or photocopied, then destained. I
haven't done a Northern in a long time, but used to use that technique with good results.

Mike Anson
Mike-Anson at nih.gov