Glycerol stocks at -20?

Mark Mark
Sun Jun 18 21:42:33 EST 1995

In article <3ruri3$d6f at crcnis3.unl.edu> vwarwar at unlinfo.unl.edu (vitor warwar) writes:

>     Hi all:
>
>     Does anybody knows of bacteria glycerol stocks could be
>     stored at -20 instead of -70?
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Vitor
>
>--
>     Vitor Warwar / 406 Plant Sciences Hall / University of Nebraska
>     Lincoln NE 68593-0722 / USA / vwarwar at unlinfo.unl.edu

Dear Vitor,
DEpends on what bacteria you are talking about. We store E.coli in 40%
glycerol at both -20C(for a few months) and at -80C(almost indefinitely).
We store B.subtilis in 15% glycerol at -80C. -20C is no good for this
organism.
I suggest as a good all round way 15-20% glycerol at -80C.
Regards
Mark
Mark Smith                      | The saying is sure and worthy of
Dept. of Biochemistry           | full acceptance, that Christ Jesus
University of Sydney            | came into the world to save sinners.
Sydney, NSW, 2006               | And I am the foremost of sinners.
Austraila                       |
m.smith at biochem.usyd.edu.au     | 1 Timothy 1:15