exons and introns again...

Heidi Moss hmmoss at MAIL.MED.CORNELL.EDU
Wed Jun 21 09:52:00 EST 1995

I know this is not a methods and reagents question, but I always get
excellent responses on this server (:  (thanks everyone!)

Here is my question: All of the textbooks say that the 3'utr is
usually contained on ONE exon. I haven't found any papers on medline in
recent years that indicate the contrary/exceptions to that rule (perhaps I
need to look further, but I thought I'd ask first). I have a gene that
has a 1kb intron AFTER the stop codon, right smack in the middle of the
3'utr before the poly-A. Can anyone tell me other genes that have a
similar occurance? Is there any significance in such an event?
thanks!!
-- Heidi