designing site-specific protease sites

Gregg B. Wells pathology at a1.mscf.upenn.edu
Thu Jun 22 09:52:13 EST 1995

What proteases can be used for very specific cleavage of designed
cleavage sites in recombinant proteins?  I know that thrombin,
enterokinase, and factor X sites have been used in expression vectors to
separate fusion proteins and to remove histidine tags.  What conditions
optimize the chances for site-specific proteolysis?  Are any other
enzymes used for this purpose?  I am particularly interested in cleaving
a recombinant protein very near a membrane surface.  Are
any proteases especially good at working in this environment?
Thanks for the help.

Gregg Wells
Department of Pathology
University of Pennsylvania