PCR in soil

Paul Herron P.R.Herron at Swansea.ac.uk
Fri Jun 23 02:34:51 EST 1995

In article <3sbqpn$qtc at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, Wieger.Homan at rivm.nl (homan) says:

>Hello,
>
>We are working on PCRs in soil, faeces or other vectors containing large
>amount of polymerase inhibiting compounds. As we are interested in the
>detection of parasitic oocysts we need to perform harsh extraction methods
>that seem to release polymerase inhibitors. Till now we did not succeed in
>removing the inhibitory materials (after phenol extraction), whatever
>purification methods we tried (gelfitration, celite or ionexchange for
>example). Is there someone out there who can give me some suggestions.
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Wieger L.Homan

For local advice you should contact Dr. Antoon Akkermans, Dept of Microbiology
, Agricultural University Wageningen, Hesselink van Suchtelenweg 4, 6703 CT
Wageningen NL. E-mail antoon.akkermans at micr.wau.nl. I can't remember the phone
number. Antoon's group has much experience of PCRing (microbial) DNA and RNA out
of many environmental samples including soil.
      Beste Wensen !
            Paul