Riboprobes

Steven Sullivan sullivan at gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
Mon Jun 26 06:12:01 EST 1995

Tracy Aquilla (aquilla at salus.med.uvm.edu) wrote:
: In Article <1995Jun19.100817.54281 at cc.usu.edu>, sl6dp at cc.usu.edu wrote:
: >Does anybody know if there is a minimum length for a good riboprobe?
: >I am thinking of making 300bp max. riboprobes, is there any drawbaks for
: >this, any special meassures to consider???

: I routinely make riboprobes over 500 bp with no problems. Longer probes will
: give greater sensitivity in an RNAse protection assay, but can give some
: problems if the RNA being assayed is somewhat degraded.
:     tracy

Supposedly too, longer probes have a harder time penetrating tissue in in
situs, though I've not seen this happen (I used 1 kb probes for in situ
that worked fine).  Some labs routinely hydrolize their probes down to
about 300 bp, thought to be an optimal size.