Advice on buying an automated DNA sequencer

David T. Croke dtcroke at iol.ie
Wed Jun 28 16:04:57 EST 1995

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can give me some information on the new 2nd generation
(i.e. lower priced) automated fluorescent DNA sequencers which have just
recently come on the market.

I will be able to purchase in October '95 and currently two such
instruments are available on the Irish market:
(i) the ALFexpress from Pharmacia & (ii) a new instrument from ABI (whose
model No. I can't remember) which is based on capillary electrophoresis.
All I can get at the moment is the usual sales pitch from the company
reps. I would be very grateful for comments/information from people who
have bought/are currently using either of these instruments.

Please e-mail any replies directly to me at dtcroke at iol.ie (or at
dtcroke at rcsi.ie)!

Many thanks,

David Croke.