Synchronizing Mammalian Cells? Anyone tried this?!

R. John Lye rjl6n at uva.pcmail.virginia.edu
Wed Jun 28 07:52:45 EST 1995

Graham Dellaire <popa0206 at PO-Box.McGill.CA> wrote:
>Is it possible to synchronize mammalian cells efficiently..
>say by serum starvation...
>Are there any protocols out there for this...
>
>I am looking to synchronize some murine fibroblasts.

Ummm,yes.  There are quite a few ways to synchronize cells.
Serum starvation will do for some, but will not work terribly
well with most cell lines.  Nocodazole treatment is another,
as is deoxythymnidine treatment followed by deoxycytidine
rescue. You might combine both to get tight synchrony, which
is what I did years ago.  There are other methods, which I
can't remember right now since I need some caffeine, but
I'd suggest a day spent in the library would be of value;
I'd offer to give you references, but mine are ten or more
years old and completely out of date.

later,
John