Boomerang DNA Amplification - from the inventor

Paul N Hengen pnh at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov
Wed Jun 28 11:26:08 EST 1995

 In article <3sne26$i6h at gaia.ucs.orst.edu|
 Kevin Ahern (ahernk at bcc.orst.edu) writes:

| I recently learned of a discussion on this group concerning the
| Boomerang DNA Amplification (BDA) process that I invented.  Since there
| is a great deal of misunderstanding and interest concerning my process,
| I'd like to clarify a few points here.
|
| 1.  BDA is a process for thermocyclic amplification of DNA sequences
| using a single primer.  This has caused some people (not me) to compare
| it to PCR.  Further, some people are calling it Boomerang PCR, which is
| not correct.  I believe it is fundamentally different from PCR.
|
| 2.  There is no Australian connection to BDA.  I live in Corvallis, OR.
| The name came from my wife who recognized that the DNA polymerase
| comes back to where it started from like a boomerang.

I'm sorry about the joke I made. but I couldn't resist :*) I actually
knew that you are in the U.S., and tried to contact you by e-mail, but
didn't get a reply.

| 3.  I received notice of allowance from the U.S. Patent Office this
| spring that my patent was ready for filing.  Oregon State University
| will be handling the filing fee and licensing.  Contact Mr. William
| Hostetler, Director of Technology Transfer at OSU for more information.
|
| 4.  The method has not been published (yet).  There is a long story why
| that I will not go into here, but will gladly detail to anyone
| interested.  There have been a couple of notices in Genetic Engineering
| News.

Since you are about to publish this (I assume it's submitted), and you
have already filed for a patent, would you be opposed to discussing more
details of the technique publicly on the net? If you like, a summary of
any discussion can be published in Trends in Biochemical Sciences in
my monthly column in much the same way as the article was done on long and
accurate PCR with Wayne Barnes (see TIBS 19:341-342). If so, you would
probably get immediate recognition for your invention.

| 5.  I am happy to share a diagram of the process to anyone interested.
| I can e-mail a PICT file or other format if desired.  If that is not an
| option, I can fax the diagram if you will send me the number to fax it
| to.

| Kevin Ahern

Could it be made available in PostScript, .tif, or .gif format?
Please e-mail me if you don't want to discuss this openly.