Storage temperatures

jim hartley jhartley at access2.digex.net
Thu Jun 29 05:24:41 EST 1995

A few years back a guy here took a plasmid and cycled it between 37 C and
dry ice, my memory is 30 times, and took out samples during the process.
By gel analysis the degree of supercoiling was entirely unchanged by all
this freezing and thawing.  I know there is an ancient bias that freezing
is bad for plasmids, but for DNA less than lambda size I have never seen
any data demonstrating this.  I fear microbial growth and slow enzymatic
degradation much more than freeze/thaw cycles, so all my DNA is tucked away in a frost free -20 freezer.

Jim Hartley
Life Technologies, Inc.