Question: What does BSA do in PCR reactions?

kang at kang at
Wed Mar 1 03:35:12 EST 1995

In article <3j093q$3g3 at>, Z3C20 at (Yi, Xiaoming) writes:
>In <3iv5d5$nq5 at> M.Willcox at writes:
>> Hello,
>> Could someone please tell me what BSA does in PCR reactions?
>> Many thanks,
>> Mark
>I think BSA can stabilize the enzyme(Taq), BSA is also added to restriction
>enzyme digestions to stabilize the enzymes, since adding BSA will increase the total
>concentration of protein in the mixture

I want to add another feature of BSA.
In addition to stabilizing ptrotein by making high concentration of protein,
BSA will bind and trap the trace amount of SDS which is contaminated into the
reaction system in anyway.

SDS is a very very potent inhibitor of REs or Taq.

Good Luck.