2-Mercaptoethanol, thanks

Paul N Hengen pnh at fcs110c.ncifcrf.gov
Wed Mar 1 16:51:21 EST 1995

 In article <3iiqh9$nl at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>
 Denni Schnapp <ds4 at st-andrews.ac.uk> writes:

| ...The general consensus is that the smell is worse than the toxicity...

| DTT is used by some people in place of 2 ME, also on tricine gels, but the
| lack of stability of this compound seems to be the major problem (and for
| heavy duty users, cost is also a factor).

| New alternatives may become available: "XYZZYX" (did not get a name) writes
| he or she came across a phosphorus compound offered by Pierce which is odour-
| less and should be a good reducing agent. Has anybody had experience with that
| one?

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned 2-mercaptoethanesulfonate. I bought
some for this purpose, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Anyone try
it in SDS-PAGE with the tricine buffers?

@article{Singh1994,
author = "R. Singh",
title = "Oderless {SDS}-{PAGE} of proteins using
sodium 2-mercaptoethanesulfonate",
journal = "BioTechniques",
volume = "17",
number = "2",