Transfecting Primary Cell Lines

Martin D. Leach leach at bu.edu
Wed Mar 1 11:15:48 EST 1995

In article <dcox.2.000C374A at medmicro.uct.ac.za>, dcox at medmicro.uct.ac.za
(Dermot Cox) wrote:

> We are at present having problems transfecting primary cells derived from
> foetal bovine testes with plasmid DNA.  We are using the DOTAP kit from
> Boehringer-Mannheim with little success.  Has anyone had similar
problems with
> this kit or could make suggestions of alternate methods.

Some cell types are virtually non-transfectable...one example is primary
rat cerebellar granule cells (in our hands)...

although they have been reported to be transfected (sorry sentence
construction is down...since i am abstaining from caffeine) using DOGS (a
component of transfectam-made by promega) or using a retroviral mediated
vector...

Martin

.....          Martin Leach                Email:leach at bu.edu
 _/  |-/__==/  80 E. Concord St. (L603)
                                             head.....WIBBLE"
My homepage: http://155.41.115.114/Leach.html
Biotech company listing: http://155.41.115.114/jumper/biolcomm.html

p.s. try BioMOO  -virtual biology on the internet..
telnet bioinfo.weizmann.ac.il 8888