MAKING YOUR OWN GEL BOXES

Daniel Kim dkim at nmsu.edu
Wed Mar 1 14:58:27 EST 1995

Hello:

I was once surprised to see a gel box made from a small Tupperware box (about
the size to hold a sandwich . . about 6 inches by 8 inches?).  It featured
electrodes made of two paper clips and was powered by nine transisior
radio 9 V batteries.  The array of batteries gave the unit 45 V, which was
fine for a minigel run.  At the end of the run, the (-) electrode was
corroded into a pile of rust, but the (+) electrode was intact.

I was impressed by the simplicity of this unit.

Daniel Kim
dkim at verdi.nmsu.edu