DNA prep for transient transfection

nick at lmb1.rug.ac.be nick at lmb1.rug.ac.be
Thu Mar 2 05:28:31 EST 1995

Hi there,

As a coincidence, we had a discussion only yesterday about problems with low
efficiencies of transient transfections in our lab.

More precisely, transfections using the DEAE-dextrane method seem to give very
variable results, given one plasmid preparation to another.

The low efficiency is independent of the person, the acceptor cells or the DNA
itself. In fact...the problem seems to be the preparation method used. Sorry
to tell you so, but this all began when we started using QIAGEN columns!

I am not trying to start a "WIZARD (TM)"-like hystery here. We just want to
know if other people have experienced similar problems, and if there is any
solution to this. Especially if you want to compare two different genes, this
varying efficiencies really make it a mess.

I hope someone has an answer to this problem.

	Greetings,

	Nick

Laboratory of Molecular Biology
University of Gent