TA Cloning and screening

Mike Poidinger mikep at biosci.uq.oz.au
Thu Mar 2 21:43:10 EST 1995

In article <3iluaf$hk at mark.ucdavis.edu>, ez022056 at dale.ucdavis.edu (Edward
Wang) wrote:

> I am currently working on a TA cloning project.  We've looked through a
> few "TA cloning kits" and noticed that Promega sell their kit at $66.00
> and Invitrogen sells at appx. $200.00 for the same amount of kit.
> According to the maps provided, the only two major differences between
> the kits are 1. the multiple cloning sites and 2. no Kan res. in Promega
> plasmid.  We have decided to purchase the Promega kit, but I would like
> to know from people who have worked with either one or both kits if there
> are major differences in protocol or efficiencies, etc.
> Also, we plan to screen for inserts with Screen Test Recomb. Screen Kit
> by Stratagene.  Has anyone used this kit and perhaps could make some
> input as far as how efficient this kit is?
> All inputs are appreciated.

having used or been in a lab where was used both kits, I would say
 there is no appreciable difference between them. At the moment we use
Promega's PGEM-T, and have no problems with getting results.

I should note that we use electroporation for transformation at quite
high efficiency.

Mike

Dr Mike Poidinger  | Hey Christian God, get out of my face
Microbiology       | Your holy ghost is a curse on the human race
UWA, Australia	   | I'd like to string you up one more time,
mikep at biosci.uq.oz.au