Can you "fix" agarose gels?

Rod Snowdon gh66 at mailserv.uni-giessen.de
Wed Mar 1 09:35:01 EST 1995

dan_settles at cellbio.duke.edu (Dan Settles) wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone knows of a method for fixing DNA in an agaose
> gel so you can look at it and photograph the gel a day or two after
> running it?  Thanks for any help.
> Dan Settles

I've discovered that just leaving your gel in a plastic bag at 4 degC keeps
the DNA OK for a few days and perhaps at least a week.  Big DNA
fragments don't seem to diffuse at all and smaller DNA very
little.  In 0.8 - 1% TAE and TBE gels I've Southern blotted a couple of
days to a week after running the gel with no reduction in sharpness of
bands down to at least 1kb.  Also works for Northern blots and I've done
the same overnight with RAPD gels without problems.  Try it!

Snowy