Can you "fix" agarose gels?

Ferenc Marincs agpfxm at pnv.palm.cri.nz
Thu Mar 2 13:57:51 EST 1995

dan_settles at cellbio.duke.edu (Dan Settles) says:

> >I was wondering if anyone knows of a method for fixing DNA in an agaose
> >gel so you can look at it and photograph the gel a day or two after
> >running it?  Thanks for any help.
> >Dan Settles
>
> I use a solution of 12% TCA (trichloroacetic acid) to precipitate DNA in
alkaline
> agarose gels. This may provide a solution to your problem, however even though
> this precipitates the DNA out into the gel I do not know whether it prevents
> degradation of the DNA.
> I hope this is of some help.
>
> Sarah Perfect

You can stain DNA in agarose gel with a silver-stain and dry the gel in a
gel dryer. Or you can transfer the ethidium-bromide stained DNA onto
nitrocellulose
or any other mambrane and visualize the membrane in UV light.

Frank

Ferenc Marincs
AgResearch, Private Bag 11008, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Phone: +64-6-356 8019, Fax: +64-6-351 8032
E-mail: agpfxm at pnv.palm.cri.nz