methicillin&ampicillin

Zal Suldan Z-Suldan at ski.mskcc.org
Fri Mar 3 08:06:29 EST 1995

In article <kgraham-0203951812510001 at gietz.hgen.umanitoba.ca>
kgraham at bldghsc.lan1.umanitoba.ca (kevin c. graham) writes:

> Hi there, this is a first-time post so please bear with me.
>
> A while ago I read on this group that someone was using a combination of
> ampicillin and methicillin in their LB plates to select for E. coli
> transformants. This was a cheaper alternative than using carbenicillin.
> I've ordered the methicillin but can't remember what concentrations of
> each to use!
> Could someone please help? Thanks.
>
> Kevin C. Graham, M.Sc. (Masters of Saccharomyces cerevisiae) student
> Dept of Human Genetics
> U of Manitoba
> Winnipeg, MB
> email:kgraham at bldghsc.lan1.umanitoba.ca

I make a 500x soln of 25mg/ml Amp and 40mg/ml Met in water. I started
doing this while playing with Stratagene's PCR cloning kit... they
claim this reduces satellites. I've continued using both drugs when I
make up LB plates, and in o/n cx's but I have to admit, I'm not sure I
really see a significant difference +/- Met.

Zal