Disposable filters for buffers etc

Mark W. Trumbore Trumborm at dc37a.nci.nih.gov
Fri Mar 3 16:48:39 EST 1995

In article <newitt-0303951116510001 at 128.231.113.35>, newitt at ncifcrf.gov
(John A. Newitt) wrote:

> In article <3j5nt4$imn at usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu>, bl275 at cleveland.Freenet.Edu
> (Dan Diaz) wrote:
>
> > ive been unhappy with the performance of nalgene's disposable filterware,
> > which i use for filter sterilization and for particle removal from hplc and
> > fplc buffers.
> >
> > more often than not, i find little bits of material in the filtrate which
> > apparently come from the filter itself.
>
> I've not had any problems with Nalgene nor Corning disposable filterware
> when filtering aqueous buffers.  Now if you are filtering organic
> solvents, e.g. acetonitrile or concentrated methanol, that's another
> problem.  Make sure that the chemical resistance of the filter and housing
> materials are suitable for the solutions you are filtering.  Nalgene and
> many other manufacturers include this info in tables in their catalogs
> that contain filterware.
>
> John A. Newitt  <newitt at ncifcrf.gov>
> National Institutes of Health
> Bethesda, Maryland  USA

I have also been using both Nalgene and Corning disposable filters for
aqueous HPLC solvents without any problems.  For organic solvents I use
ZAPCAP-CR filters.  They work well and are chemically resistant so there
are no solvent compatibility problems.

Mark W. Trumbore
National Institutes of Health

--