Kinase Substrate Sequences

Jim Woodgett jwoodget at oci.utoronto.ca
Fri Mar 3 14:10:07 EST 1995

In article <01HNOALDNC76A5U6XK at MPGARS.DESY.DE>, DREWES at MPASMB.DESY.DE writes:
> brien at pharm.med.upenn.edu (PJOB) wrote:

> > Is there an online source (or recent reference in the lit.) that
> > details the recognition sequences for ser/thr kinases, or a program
> > that recognizes them in a polypeptide sequence?

> In volume 200 (1991) of the Methods in Enzymology series is a
> review article by Tony Hunter dealing with site recognition motifs (I
> do not know if there is a more recent review or an updated version).
> You can scan sequences for such motifs with useful programs like
> "Scansim" or "Pesearch/Qgsearch" from the PCGENE package. "Prosite"
> scans for PKC-like signatures (and maybe more in the newest version?).

The Chapter in ME is a good source.  The author, Bruce Kemp, also wrote a
"Protein Motifs" article in TIBS, September 1990, page 342 if you don't have
access to ME.  In addition, Bruce wrote a Chapter in a book on protein kinases
describing the role of pseudosubstrates, etc which just came out as part of
the IRL Press Frontiers in Molecular Biology series (commercial break on -
since I edited the book, I declare a conflict of interest - but it is a really
useful book if you want an up-to-date, all-in-one resource for protein kinases
- commercial break over).

Jim Woodgett