Okazaki fragments -- in Thermicus aquaticus?

Rob Britton rb690253 at bcm.tmc.edu
Fri Mar 3 20:58:41 EST 1995

In article <3ivuf2$kqu at elaine30.Stanford.EDU>, ladasky at leland.Stanford.EDU
(John Ladasky) wrote:

> Greetings, everyone,
>
>         I was just wondering.  Since Thermicus aquaticus (the bacterium
> that gave us Taq polymerase) lives at 72 degrees C, how does it prime its
> DNA replication?  It seems to me that the synthesis of an Okazaki fragment
> on the lagging strand would somehow have to be "protected" in order that
> it remains annealed.  Any thoughts?  Has any reseach been done?
>
>         By the way, if someone can think of a better newsgroup in which
> to discuss this issue, we can move.
>
> --
> Unique ID : Ladasky, John Joseph Jr.
> Title     : BA Biochemistry, U.C. Berkeley, 1989
> Location  : Stanford University, Dept. of Structural Biology, Fairchild D-105
> Keywords  : immunology, music, running, Green

I don't know if any research has been done, but it is an interesting
question.  Do we even know that this bugs DNA is replicated semi
discontinuously?  Probably so.  I would assume that there is a primase
that initiates Okazaki fragment synthesis but what holds the fragment in
place until the fragments are ligated together I'm not sure.  Perhaps a
high GC content?  Or is there a specific mechanism?  It would sure be
interesting to find this factor(s), not to mention potentially very
helpful to the PCR reaction.

Cheers,

Rob Britton
Baylor College of Medicine