SKILLS REQUIRED BY CORPORATE LABS
betts at ORION.ETSU.EDU
Fri Mar 3 12:29:37 EST 1995
This note is primarily directed to corporate-types involved in the fields of
research/development. Students frequently come to me asking just what
skills they need to enter the job market. I can tell them a lot of skills
they need, but I'm an academic-type, not a real-world person. I also need
some ammunition from you that I can show administrators. They are even more
isolated from the real world than I am and think a student can get any job
in the world simply by flashing their diploma. WRONG! Some info that would
help me (and others I'm sure) would include:
1. Specific types of equipment you use.
2. Specific types of skills.
3. Notes on types of training you would like to see in the person with a
4. SOB stories on training/expenses required to get a new employee with
little experience up to speed in your labs.
5. Ideas on how to solve these problems.
6. Anything else I haven't thought of.
Your assistance and ideas are greatly appreciated.
East Texas State University
Commerce, TX 75429-3011
Life is like a bowl of stew, you need to stir things up once in a while so
the scum doesn't rise to the top.
More information about the Methods