Disposable filters for buffers etc

John A. Newitt newitt at ncifcrf.gov
Fri Mar 3 11:16:51 EST 1995

In article <3j5nt4$imn at usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu>, bl275 at cleveland.Freenet.Edu
(Dan Diaz) wrote:

> ive been unhappy with the performance of nalgene's disposable filterware,
> which i use for filter sterilization and for particle removal from hplc and
> fplc buffers.
>
> more often than not, i find little bits of material in the filtrate which
> apparently come from the filter itself.

I've not had any problems with Nalgene nor Corning disposable filterware
when filtering aqueous buffers.  Now if you are filtering organic
solvents, e.g. acetonitrile or concentrated methanol, that's another
problem.  Make sure that the chemical resistance of the filter and housing
materials are suitable for the solutions you are filtering.  Nalgene and
many other manufacturers include this info in tables in their catalogs
that contain filterware.

John A. Newitt  <newitt at ncifcrf.gov>
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, Maryland  USA