Squalene/H2O2 reaction - study.txt [1/1]

Ted Kalli tedkalli at acy.digex.net
Sat Mar 4 07:42:33 EST 1995

I hope I am posting this in the right place.  If not, would
appreciate proper newgroup for this posting.

I am currently studying the application of an oil-in-water emulsion
of hydrogen peroxide to the skin.  Naturally, my concern is the
production of free radicals, since this seems to be a major topic of
discussion.  I recall some studies and results where the pH of skin
was monitored during treatment with cosmetic products.  If pH
remains low, there is a high probability that hydrogen peroxide
remains intact, at least until it reaches live epidermal cells where
catalase enzymes plus neutral conditions of blood/lymph would favor
quick conversion to oxygen.

I predict a correlation between rate of neutralization of the
emulsion and release of oxygen in situ on human skin.  Thereby, the
time would be short wherin reactive hydrogen peroxide per se was
present on the skin, acting as a source for free radicals.

Release of oxygen from hydrogen peroxide, via this scheme, would
approximate that accompanying inhalation of 100% gaseous oxygen such
as during respiration therapy.

I am searching for published methods describing reactions of
squalene with hydrogen peroxide and the resulting compounds, for
example, MDA.

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

Ted Kalli
AURA Research, Ltd.
(800) 553-4349 US and Canada
(609) 390-0488 international