G-C content determination

paul betts paul_b at biotek.mcb.uconn.edu
Thu Mar 2 11:34:55 EST 1995

We have recently come upon a methodology for determining base content of
cellular DNA via strong anion exchange HPLC of hydrolyzed genomic DNA.  The
protocol we were using called for a using a particular "Partisil" SAX
column.  The methods described did not work in our hands on the SAX column
we had available (not the "partisil" column).  Various permutations of that
protocol failed to resolve the individual bases.  Does anyone out there
have an alternative HPLC protocol for accomplishing this task?  Does anyone
know of a facility that regularly performs this type of analysis as a
service?  We have a new strain of mycoplasma that we are characterizing and
was hoping to find a quick, inexpensive answer to the question of G-C
content of the beast.