Church hyb solution questions

Anthony Tomlinson tomlinson at pplros.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 6 06:27:50 EST 1995

In article <3j7due$mca at server.st.usm.edu> Glen Shearer,
gshearer at whale.st.usm.edu writes:

>Just mix equal molar amounts.  0.5 mole/L monobasic + 0.5 mole/L
>dibasic and there's your 1M stock.  For the hyb soln' mix up
>2 parts NaPO4 stock, 1 part water, 1 part 20% SDS.

surely if you do this the final solution is still 0.5M as the volume is
double.
In any case, the pH will not be 7. We mix 1M solutions of the two
compounds until
the pH is 7.2 this gives the 1M NaPi buffer. Note that it matters whether
you
add mon to dibasic or vice versa simply because you will require a much
bigger
volume of one than the other!! Off the top of my head I can't remember
which way
round it is :-) do a pilot to find out.

Mike Dalrymple