Okazaki fragments -- in Thermicus aquaticus?

Zophonias O. Jonsson zjons at vetbio.unizh.ch
Mon Mar 6 09:44:22 EST 1995

In article <rb690253-0303951958410001 at 128.249.26.139>, rb690253 at bcm.tmc.edu
(Rob Britton) wrote:

>.......          I would assume that there is a primase
> that initiates Okazaki fragment synthesis but what holds the fragment in
> place until the fragments are ligated together I'm not sure.  Perhaps a
> high GC content?  Or is there a specific mechanism?

In Thermus sp. high GC content could help but is probably not sufficient.
Not all thermophiles do have a high GC ratio so there must be another
explanation, at least in some cases.  Perhaps the bugs have a way of
playing with salt concentrations or some way of decreasing the activity of
water and thereby stabilising the DNA.  Specific mechanisms involving
protein clamps etc. would be more interesting, though.

Zophonias

Zophonias O. Jonsson
Institut fur Veterinarbiochemie               Tel: (41-1)-257-54-75
Universitat Zurich-Irchel                     Fax: (41-1)-362-05-01
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zurich
Switzerland