primers in RT in situ PCR

Shahram Mori smori at nmsu.edu
Mon Mar 6 21:38:46 EST 1995

Rob Wesley (rwesley at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu) wrote:
: Hi.

: I'm trying to work out a method for RT in situ PCR and I'm at a
: conceptual snag.  In the RT step, I want to use the 'specific downstream
: primer' but I'm not sure which one this is.  Is it the one complementary
: to the 3' end of the mRNA?

YES. That's where the OligodT's bind. Poly A is added to the 3'end of mRNA's

  Can I use one of my PCR primers in this
: step?  Would an oligo dT primer cause me all kinds of trouble?  How long
: should the RT primer be?

Random hexamers and OligodT's are what you need. I think people over at John
Hopkins can help you. :)
: Robert Wesley
: Johns Hopkins University
: Department of Neurology