DNA prep for transient transfection

Martin D. Leach leach at bu.edu
Tue Mar 7 11:12:05 EST 1995

In article <merle-0603951513020001 at 129.105.41.195>, merle ( ) wrote:

> > In Article <nick.5.2F559DCF at lmb1.rug.ac.be>
> > nick at lmb1.rug.ac.be writes:
>

> > >As a coincidence, we had a discussion only yesterday about problems
with low
> > >efficiencies of transient transfections in our lab.
> > >
> > >More precisely, transfections using the DEAE-dextrane method seem to
> give very
> > >variable results, given one plasmid preparation to another.
> > >
> > >The low efficiency is independent of the person, the acceptor cells or
> the DNA
> > >itself. In fact...the problem seems to be the preparation method
used. Sorry
> > >to tell you so, but this all began when we started using QIAGEN columns!

I find a slight batch to batch variation in transfectional efficiency (i
assume it is the efficiency) from Qiagen preps..Moreover, I sometimes find
a real difference when a new lot of qiagen columns are used...I had to
reduce how much bacteria (200ml vs. 500ml) on the columns so that I wasnt
overloading the newer columns...after this my transfections went back to
the higher value..

Martin

.....          Martin Leach                Email:leach at bu.edu
 _/  |-/__==/  80 E. Concord St. (L603)
                                             head.....WIBBLE"
My homepage: http://155.41.115.114/Leach.html
Biotech company listing: http://155.41.115.114/jumper/biolcomm.html

p.s. try BioMOO  -virtual biology on the internet..
telnet bioinfo.weizmann.ac.il 8888