Definition: Saturation Mutagenesis

Rock Pulak rapulak at macc.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 7 12:42:03 EST 1995

In article <anderson-060395172733 at 128.252.181.14> Eric C. Anderson,
anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu writes:
>so far, all i've been able to find in the way of a definition or
>description came from Lewin's Geves IV where they consider it the
mutation
>of every nucleotide in a particular region.  my personal vote would be
for
>mutating every amino acid to something different, preferably not a
>conservative change.

If your gene was a tRNA gene, then how would you define saturation
mutagenesis?  Do you think the term should have gene specific meanings?
(IMHO) I don't think it should.

Also, it may just be a poor term in general.  Should saturation
mutagenesis be every nucleotide for every other nucleotide, one
at a time, then two at a time, then three at a time, and so forth?
Real "saturation" of all possible mutations would be just that.
Some of forms of SELEX achieve this.  Most site directed mutagenesis
experiments fall far short of these goals.

Rock Pulak
Uw-Madison