Plasmid Diagrams

Tony Hodge tph at
Wed Mar 8 07:12:47 EST 1995

In article <1995Mar6.232006.3827 at> Karen Usdin,
ku at writes:
>Subject: Re: Plasmid Diagrams
>From: Karen Usdin, ku at
>Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 23:20:06 GMT
>>Neil Harris <nh3 at> wrote:
>> I'm about to draw diagrams to demonstrate the construction of a plasmid I
>> have recently finished and need some Mac compatible software to generate
>> some nice pictures with restriction sites etc. Rather than spend money on
>> obtaining such a program, I was wondering whether anyone knows if
>> anything is available via the world wide web?
>The precommercial version of DNA Strider should be available from many sites
>on the net. Try ftp to Strider allows you to
>generate restriction maps very easily if you have the sequence of the plasmid.
>I might be wrong but I think that annotation of plasmid features e.g. gene
>positions is not easy with this program.

Main problem with the old Strider is that you can only get the map
into your other applications as a screen shot bit-map   UNTIL NOW.
I have just come across a little extension to the Mac OS called
PictPocket which will grap PICT data from the system while it is
re-drawing the window.  Result: a PICT in the clipboard which can be
pasted into your favourite publishing application and edited without
loss of resolution.

PictPocket extension is available on the usual sites as:

Email me if you need further details.

Tony P Hodge
Structural Studies Division
Medical Research Council Laboratory of Molecular Biology
Hills Road
CB2  2QH

Phone (01223)  402260

Fax     (01223)  213556