Plasmid Diagrams

Tony Hodge tph at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 8 07:12:47 EST 1995

In article <1995Mar6.232006.3827 at alw.nih.gov> Karen Usdin,
ku at helix.nih.gov writes:
>Subject: Re: Plasmid Diagrams
>From: Karen Usdin, ku at helix.nih.gov
>Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 23:20:06 GMT
>>Neil Harris <nh3 at st-andrews.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I'm about to draw diagrams to demonstrate the construction of a plasmid I
>> have recently finished and need some Mac compatible software to generate
>> some nice pictures with restriction sites etc. Rather than spend money on
>> obtaining such a program, I was wondering whether anyone knows if
>> anything is available via the world wide web?
>

>The precommercial version of DNA Strider should be available from many sites
>on the net. Try ftp to ftp.iubio.indiana.edu. Strider allows you to
>generate restriction maps very easily if you have the sequence of the plasmid.
>I might be wrong but I think that annotation of plasmid features e.g. gene
>positions is not easy with this program.

Main problem with the old Strider is that you can only get the map
into your other applications as a screen shot bit-map   UNTIL NOW.
I have just come across a little extension to the Mac OS called
PictPocket which will grap PICT data from the system while it is
re-drawing the window.  Result: a PICT in the clipboard which can be
pasted into your favourite publishing application and edited without
loss of resolution.

PictPocket extension is available on the usual sites as:

umich/system.extensions/init/pictpocket1.2.sit.hqx

Email me if you need further details.

tony

Tony P Hodge
Structural Studies Division
Medical Research Council Laboratory of Molecular Biology
Hills Road
Cambridge
CB2  2QH
UK