Restriction Digestion and Bacteria

GORDON BETTS betts at ORION.ETSU.EDU
Wed Mar 8 10:14:07 EST 1995

Greetings,
A microbiologist colleague has approached me about cooperating on a project
he is giving a grad student concerning types of E. coli in a dairy herd.  My
previous experience in cell culture has mostly centered around killing
bacteria rather than trying to understand it so I am expanding my horizons
again.
His idea has to do with analyzing some samples he has in his freezer from 6
years ago and comparing them with current E. coli populations at said dairy
which now uses different antibiotics than in the past.  He wants to know if
we can restriction digest genomic DNA to compare the E. coli.
I suppose some specific questions are:
1) Is this project feasible?
2) Can simple restriction digestion of genomic DNA be used to compare
different strains?
3) Would digestion of plasmids be a better approach?
4) What restriction enzymes would be best?
5) Instead must we use RFLP analysis to accomplish this project?
Thanks,
Gordon Betts
Biology Dept.
East Texas State University
Commerce, TX 75429-3011
903/886-5369
======
The Today show did a story on people that complain.  Don't you just hate
stories like that?  They're such a waste of time.  And besides that, they're
always....