(none)

Jeff Kramer jeff at COMPBIO2.MED.WAYNE.EDU
Wed Mar 8 10:46:53 EST 1995

Hello All.

	I have two quick questions that I hope someone can help me with.

1.	What is the easiest way to get a small amount of blood from a mouse?

In the past, folks in my lab have been taking tail tips to isolate DNA, but I
found I can get all the DNA I need by taking a drop of blood from the mouse
after snipping the tail.  Of course, this saves me time trouble and money,
but I still have to cut the tail.  Someone in our vivarium here told me of a
way to do retro-orbital blood collection, basically sticking a capilary tube
behind the eye to puncture the sinus.  I read about it in a manual, and the
pictures look as grisly as it sounds.  In fact, the book says that clipping
the tail is preferable for getting a bit of blood, but to me, both seem to be
mighty mean and "uncomfortable" for the mouse.  Now I'm no RN, so I doubt I
could sucesfully tap a vein in the tail with a butterfly needle, but there has
got to be an easier way to get blood that is also more mouse-friendly.  Thanks,
and sorry if I've groosed any one out.

2.	does anyone have an e-mail address for either H.B. Waynforth (at
SmithKline Beecham, or P.A. Flecknell at the University of Newcastle upon
Tyne medical school, and if so could you please forward it to me?

								Thanks,

									-Jeff

jeff at compbio.med.wayne.edu