Re-using hybridisation solutions containing double-stranded probes?

Jan Eggermont Jan.Eggermont at med.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Mar 8 07:18:20 EST 1995

In article <01HNG6291XDUA5U66B at MPGARS.DESY.DE>, DREWES at MPASMB.DESY.DE wrote:

> Has anybody ever tried re-using plaque hybridisation solutions containing
> 32P-labeled double stranded probes? It would mean a significant reduce in
> radioactive waste and expensive stuff like salmon sperm DNA and deionized
> formamide. I am thinking about simply storing the used solution in the freezer
> and then denature the DNA and the probe again by boiling for ten minutes
before
> the next use.

Yes, you can reuse hybridisation solutions. After hybridisation we collect
the  hybridisation mix and store it at -20 C. Prior to a new
hybridisation, we heat it up to 65 C for 15 min prior. I think boiling the
mix before usage may cause precipitation of BSA in the mix...

Regards,

Jan

Jan Eggermont                       Jan.Eggermont at med.kuleuven.ac.be
Laboratorium voor Fysiologie - KU Leuven
Campus Gasthuisberg
B-3000 Leuven                            tel 32-16-345938
Belgium                                  fax 32-16-345991