Oligo 4.0-s program

Klaus.Matthaei at ANU.EDU.AU Klaus.Matthaei at ANU.EDU.AU
Thu Mar 9 21:50:16 EST 1995

>Dear colleagues,
>If somebody , as I do, uses Oligo 4.0-s to design his primers,
>could he be so kind as to share its opinions about this question?:
>Is just my impression or the program is extraordinarily, maybe
>excessively severe? If I do a combined search, 9 time out of ten
>the program does not find two primers which could give a reasonable
>probability of success. I use the program default parameters.
>Thanks in advance for your answers.

I think that the program is too stringent.  In my favourite gene IL-5,
Oligo 4 cannot find me ANY what it calls good primers yet I have oodles of
primers in that gene that work just fine.  So I have stopped using oligo 4
and design by eye using some general rules and then run them agains the
gene using Amplify.  If Amplify says they are OK they always work.

Cheers, Klaus

Klaus Matthaei
Head, Gene Targeting                            |           |
The John Curtin School of Medical Research      |  _--_|\   |
The Australian National University              | /      \  |
Snail mail: Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia       | \_.--._/<<|
E-mail: Klaus.Matthaei at anu.edu.au               |       v   |
Landline: 61 6 249 3782 fx: 61 6 249 0415
                        "Sometimes I'm the Louisville slugger"
                        "Sometimes I'm the Ball"
                                Dire Straits