Rf: Re: Enhancement of PCR?

LOGAND logand at msdos.montpellier.inra.fr
Thu Mar 9 12:37:17 EST 1995

Zal wrote:

>I'm confused.... aren't we about to add these very same primers to a
>PCR reaction which will heat them, again, to 95C and then cool them,
>somewhat quickly, into the 40's or 50's. Wouldn't that make the snap
>freezing moot? Just curious.

Well, to state the obvious - 95 isn't boiling and anealing temps around 50
aren't close to the temp of liquid N2, :-). I am a believer in the snap freezing
as mentioned by other netters - I had loads of problems at the outset with some
nasty primers but after I boiled/snap freezed them I no longer had problems. Now
I do it after several normal freeze thaw cycles (-20 to 20) as a precautionary
measure.

DCL
INRA-ENSA(M)-CNRS
Montpellier