Does Klenow proofreading multiple-base 3' overhangs or just single base?

Pete Muriana MURIANAP at FOODSCI.PURDUE.EDU
Fri Mar 10 11:53:26 EST 1995

Can anyone tell me if the Klenow proofreading activity used for trimming off
the extra 3' nucleotide added during PCR RXNs also works for trimming back
multi-base 3' overhangs of restriction-digested fragment ends?  I've come
across a number of papers which state in their M&M that a digested fragment
was "blunted" with Klenow.  Since you can't "fill-in" in front of the 5'
recessed end, they must mean the use of Klenow to nibble back.
Regards, Peter
*  Peter M. Muriana, Ph.D.             317-494-8284   TEL            *
*  Dept. of Food Science               317-494-7953   FAX            *
*  Purdue University                   murianap at foodsci.purdue.edu   *
*  Smith Hall                                                        *
*  W. Lafayette, IN  47907-1160                                      *