Autoclaving Dextran Sulfate?

Shiao Y. Wang sywang at whale.st.usm.edu
Fri Mar 10 01:11:44 EST 1995

Carlisle Landel (landel at helios) wrote:
: We use dextran sulfate in our hyb solutions.  We keep a 33% stock of
: the stuff, which it turns out started growing some kind of bug.  Can
: you autoclave dextran sufate with impunity?  (Filtering it is an
: exercise in patience in the *extreme*.)

I know what you mean. Someone told me once to syringe filter a 50% stock -
I think he was playing a joke on me. I ended up making something like a 25%
stock, freezing aliquots and thawing what I needed each time.

Shiao Wang
University of Southern Mississippi