EtBr decontamination

NATHALIE RANCIAT NATHALIE at SMISSMAN.HBC.UKANS.EDU
Fri Mar 10 16:36:42 EST 1995

On feb. 23, Claude Baker asked:

EtBr is mutagenic, how do you get rid of it ?  (Sorry,if this is not
the original text,  I accidentally deleted the original message).

Well, I was wondering the same thing and got a few references from our
Environment and Safety Dept. They sent me a copy of a protocol by
George Lunn and Eric Sansone "Destruction of hazardous chemicals in
the laboratory". Sorry I do not have the references for this book)
 The authors state that EtBr insolution can be degraded by reaction with
sodium nitrate and hypophosphorous acid,
with a destruction efficiency of >99.87%, in general, reaction
mixtures are not mutagenic.

I found an adaptation of their protocol in Maniatis (section of
plasmid vectors, p1.49).

Also, here are a few references

Lunn, G. and Sansone, E.B. .EtBr: Destruction and decontamination of
solutions. Anal. Biochem. , 1987, 162: 453-458.

Lunn and Sanson: Decontamination of EtBr spills.  Appl. Ind. Hyg. 1989,
4:234-237.
I know they also published " Degradation of EtBr in alcohols" in
Biotechniques but I do not have the exact ref.

I hope this helps !

Nathalie