Antibiotic shelf life?

Curt Ashendel ashendel at aclcb.purdue.edu
Sat Mar 11 12:19:21 EST 1995

"William C. (Bill) Johnson" <ez003195 at peseta.ucdavis.edu> writes:
>General question - how long do most antibiotics retain their effectiveness?
>
>Specifically - how useful is, say, the four year old tube of ampicillin I
>found in the -20 freezer?  I've been told that most antibiotics in an
>agar plate are only good for a few weeks, and now I wonder about our stocks.

The life of aqueous solutions of beta-lactams such as ampicillin is the
shortest of all antibiotics and is shortend by higher temperatures and
higher pHs. The general guideline of 6 months at -20  works only if:

A. The stocks are in water or pH7.0 buffer (if alkali is used to dissolve
   the free acid form the solution pH can be quite high unless this is
   done carefully.)
B. The stocks are not thawed and refrozen repeatedly. Repeated freezing is
   avoided by freezing in single-use aliquots.
C. The freezer is really -20.  Our -20 freezers quickly frost up and
   actually run about -6 to -10C  most of the time so I recommend using
   -60C or colder freezer.

However, the time needed to make the proper solution, freeze it in
aliquots, and the waste involved in tossing unused portions and the
ultracold freezer space required caused me to abandon the approach using
frozed stocks of Amp.  Ever since then we weigh out the Amp sodium salt
(solid) and add it directly to the sterile medium whenever we need it. This
only takes a couple of minutes and it is robust (IT ALWAYS WORKS, even in
the hands of "lab hazards" and novices).  We have never encountered
contamination from the addition of non-sterile solid Amp. The cons to
this approach are that it is essential to keep humidity out of the solid
stock bottle and that for those who may be highly allergic to pennicillins,
this could be a somewhat dangerous task.

Curt Ashendel
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN
ashendel at aclcb.purdue.edu